A policy brief by the SIANI Agriculture-Sanitation Expert Group
- Nutrient reuse is a solution multiplier by addressing sustainable development on local, regional and global scale.
- Agriculture can be a driver for sanitation as it can create demand for sanitation systems that simplify reuse, which in turn can lead to local business opportunities.
- Involvement of farmers is crucial to ensure the performance of the productive sanitation system, i.e. that nutrients actually are reused in agriculture.
- Local government has a key role as facilitator and regulator, finding ways to promote innovation while holding service providers accountable and achieving a degree of protection to public health and the environment.
- Policy and legislation allowing for nutrient reuse are necessary pillars for the development of productive sanitation and sustainable agriculture on a larger scale.