18 August PUBLIC FORUM
8:30 – 8:45 Welcoming remarks by Emeritus Professor Dr. Annop KUNAVONGKRIT, Founder, CUSAR, and Alumnus, Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences (SLU); Dr. Wayne NELLES, Visiting Scholar, CUSAR – Brief Overview of HESA Project.
SESSION 1: 8:45-10:30 International or Regional Agency Priorities and Perspectives on Higher Education for Sustainable Agriculture (HESA) and Food Security in Southeast Asia.
DISCUSSION QUESTIONS FOR AGENCY OFFICIALS:
- What are the principal, most pressing interrelated agriculture-environment problems and food security challenges in Southeast Asia?
- What are international or regional agencies currently doing to address these interconnected concerns through capacity strengthening partnerships with universities, research institutions and extension agencies?
- What examples of innovations and best practices now exist in your agency to support post-secondary capacity strengthening or education, training, extension and research for sustainable agriculture to address overlapping agro-environmental problems, food security, hunger and poverty?
- Can or should international agency support for post-secondary education, training and research be improved to better address interrelated agriculture-environment problems and food security challenges? If so how?
- What kinds of new or strengthened international or regional agencies resources or partnerships could be helpful with post-secondary institutions to better improve HESA teaching, learning, research and extension services?
MODERATOR: Prof. Dr. Surichai WUN’GAEO, Director, Center for Peace and Conflict Studies Chulalongkorn University, and Rural Sociologist.
SPEAKERS: Dr. Susan VIZE, Regional Adviser for Social and Human Sciences, United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) Bangkok, Asia and Pacific Regional Bureau for Education; Dr. Dindo CAMPILAN, Director for Asia, International Center for Tropical Agriculture (CIAT) Asia Regional Office, Hanoi, Vietnam; Ms. Clara PARK, Gender Officer (Rural/Social Development), Food and Agriculture (FAO) Organization, United Nations, Regional Office for Asia and the Pacific, Bangkok; Ms. Maria Cristeta N. CUARESMA, Program Head, Graduate Education and Institutional Development Department, Southeast Asian Ministers of Education Organization (SEAMEO Southeast Asian Regional Center for Graduate Study and Research in Agriculture (SEARCA). Followed by an Open Debate with the public.
10:30 – 10:45 Coffee/Tea Break
SESSION 2: 10:45-12:30
MODERATOR: Dr. Wayne NELLES, Visiting Scholar, CUSAR, Bangkok
- National reprots by representatives from HESA-SIANI Expert Group Meetings and Policy Brief Drafting Committees (Thailand, Lao PDR and Philippines)
- Sharing/Reflections on morning International or Regional Agency Presentations
- Reports on data and documentation on Higher Education for Sustainable Agriculture (HESA) and Food Security from HESA-SIANI Seminars and Expert Group Meetings (government and academic dialogues) in THAILAND, LAO PDR and PHILIPPINES:
- Sharing of critical, most pressing HESA and food security Issues/Challenges from academic teaching or research institutions in each country
- Summary of key concerns and recommendations from National HESA-SIANI expert groups to be further developed for presentation to national governments and ASEAN.
- State of National HESA Policy Brief Drafting process for each country and any work yet to be done with key elements/points to be highlighted in Policy Briefs
- Research and future collaboration needed to address unanswered questions (about capacity strengthening for HESA, policy, curriculum development, relevance, etc.)
Prof. Dr. Rut MORAKOTE, Head of School of Plant Production Technology, Institute of Agricultural Technology (IAT), Suranaree University of Technology (SUT); Dr. Pradtana YOSSUCK, Assistant Professor, School of Administrative Studies (SAS), Maejo University (MJU); Dr. Supawan VISETNOI, Lecturer Chulalongkorn University School of Agricultural Resources (CUSAR)
Khamphou PHOUYYAWONG, Deputy Director, Agriculture and Forestry Policy, Research Center, National Agriculture and Forestry Research Institute (NAFRI); Xayyadeth NORASINGH, NAFRI; Amphaivanh SOUKSANTY, Pakxueng Agriculture College Luang Prabang.
Dr. Teodoro MENDOZA, Professor12, Crop Science Cluster, College of Agriculture, University of the Philippines, Los Banos, (UPLB), Chair, Higher Education for Sustainable Agriculture (HESA) and Food Security Philippines – SIANI Expert Group; Dr. Cely S. BINOYA, President, Asia-Pacific Association of Educators in Agriculture and Environment (APEAEN); Prof. VI, Central Bicol State Agricultural University; Dr. Lutgarda L. TOLENTINO, President Asian Rural Sociological Association (ARSA) and Knowledge and Action Researcher, WorldFish/CGIAR, at UPLB.
Followed by the discussion with the public.
August 18th AFTERNOON SESSION (By Invitation)
(HESA-SIANI Business Meeting & Workshop 13:30 – 17:00)
- Review of Morning Sessions and National Reports
- Discussion of issues arising from each National Expert Group (Thailand, Lao PDR and Philippines) while assessing existing capacities, new needs and planned activities for next steps (for each country and regionally) to complete Policy Briefs or related work (e.g. national survey proposal to TRF for Thailand with preliminary work underway)
- Agreement of Process and Timeline for completing the 1st Full Draft of Policy Brief for each country – including Editing and publication process with SIANI Secretariat.
- Review of other projects or processes in each country that could be complemented or strengthened through existing or new HESA-SIANI partnerships.
- Discussion of already submitted or planned project proposals from each HESA-SIANI members (e.g. national surveys proposed for Thailand)
- Potential broadening of South-South dialogue and ASEAN learning through existing project, outputs and impacts with new partners and synergies (including Phase 2 of HESA-SIANI Expert groups adding Cambodia, Myanmar, Indonesia and Viet Nam)
- Brainstorming possible new Collaborative Research proposals on HESA among Philippines, Thai, Lao and other ASEAN universities.
- Wrap-up Next Steps for HESA-SIANI or beyond