“Quality, happiness and sustainability are all equal parts of the happiness puzzle.” This is the motto of Flemming and Mette, a sympathetic Danish couple. In the fall of 2016 chef Flemming Hansen and his partner Mette Helbæk, cookbook author and stylist, left their restaurant business in Copenhagen and headed to the shore of the Halla lake in Southern Sweden to craft “a paradise of their own”.
Stedsans in the Woods, the visionary project Mette and Flemming have created, is a restaurant and a resort in the middle of the forest. Here all meals are plant based, 95% of the ingredients are either gathered in the surrounding forest, or picked right before dinnertime in the restaurant’s own garden. The remaining 5% are sourced from local organic farms. Fresh fish comes from the nearby lake, meat is either produced by Stedsan’s or sourced locally from hunters and farmers.
Guests of the resort can stay in canvas tents or simple wooden cabins. The place is equipped with compost toilets that have a view to the sky and has a floating sauna and an outdoor spa in the making. Working in collaboration with architects, designers, chefs, farmers, philosophers and musicians, Flemming and Mette experiment with simple, logical solutions to use water, energy and waste more efficiently.
Stedsans in the Woods is a good example of a new kind of tourism which is becoming trendy around the world. Agrotourism offers travellers extraordinary experience they have not had before. It is also an opportunity for farmers to showcase their produce and make money.